Friday, September 29, 2006

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote



This book is in every way a classic. It has a lot sadder ending than the movie, but I think that helps make it real. Actually, Holly's not always as likeable in the book as in the movie, but then remember that the book came first and was what was originally intended.

I remember a Seinfeld episode where George had to read Breakfast at Tiffany's for this book club, and he cheaped out and rented the movie. He said something about the love affair between Holly and Paul/Fred and the girls corrected him and said that Paul was gay in the book.

I could find nothing in this book to suggest Paul was. Unless I don't read deep enough between the lines. There are some gay friends he alludes to, but this doesn't make him definitvely gay. I suppose if one wanted to believe Paul was gay, that's fine. But Capote doesn't come right out and tell us because it isn't essential to the plot.

Basically, Breakfast at Tiffany's is about wanting a home/roots/sanctuary, while at the same time wanting the freedom to give in to your own whim. Holly talks a lot about being a 'wild thing' that has to be free. Yet at the same time, she shows signs of wanting a home by frequenting Tiffany's for the comfort it brings. And will name the cat after she finds a place that makes her feel like Tiffany's.

Now I won't tell you the ending because you have to read it. You really do. It's got hints of a love story, yes. But that's not what it's really about. It's about priorities and where one goes to find comfort and refuge. The things Holly would do in the name of money so that she and her brother Fred could have their own home. A place where they'll be safe.

I could itemize, site examples, etc. to support this and I'd have another term paper on my hands. But that's how solid this book is. How well constructed it is in terms of metaphors, symbols, and character development. If it's not on the college reading list, it should be.

This is my first Capote novel and most certainly will not be my last. It's definately a must-read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home